What is the cost of getting a driving licence in UK?
Getting a driving licence is a kind of a modern rite of passage for the teenagers on the verge of adulthood.
It can be a costly endeavour, though, with the combined costs of driving lessons, tests and formalities often higher than the price of the new driver’s first car.
There are a few steps on the way to getting a driving licence:
|Procedure for B category||Costs involved|
|Step 1||Applying for a provisional driving to DVLA (you are not allowed to take driving lessons without one!)||£35 online/ £45 by post|
|Step 2||Driving lessons|
There are no rules on how many hours you should spend practicing on the road before taking a driving test. It is recommended that you should take at least 40 lessons (but it’s not a must if you feel well-prepared earlier). On average, the British opt for 50 hours of practice.
total cost of 40 lessons: £1000
|Step 3||Theory test||£23, not refundable if you don’t pass|
|Step 4||Practical driving test||£62 or£75 on bank, holidays and weekends, not refundable if you don’t pass|
|Step 5||Applying for a full driving licence after passing the test||Free or £17 if you wish to have a different photo than in your provisional driving licence|
|ESTIMATED TOTAL COST||£ 1200*|
* All these prices are for 2016/2017
Did you know?
1. Driving lessons and test prices vary depending on a category.
For example, motorcycle driving test costs £23 for the theory module, £15.50 for the off-road test and £75 for the on-road part. The prices are even higher if you want to become a lorry/bus/coach/minibus driver. You need to pass 4 CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) tests, whose combined cost equals £230 (on working days).
2. If you are not a new driver but need to get a new driving licence, the fees depend on the reason why you need a new one:
- getting the driving licence back after being disqualified for drink driving: £65 or £90 if you need a medical test;
- renewing expired driving licence: £14 online, £17 by post, £21.50 at the Post Office;
- replacing a stolen, lost or damaged driving licence: £20;
- changing name or address – free;
- changing your photo: £14 (online) or £17 (by post).
How much did you pay for getting your driving licence? How many lessons did you decide to take?
How much alcohol can one drink ...Don’t drink and drive! - rings a slogan in your head. Indeed, you should ... 0 308
How much does scrapping a car ...After your car has drawn its last breath of gas, there comes the time to dispose ... 0 286
What are the car registration ...If your car has never been registered with DVLA before, you will need to apply ... 0 280
Not entirely accurate, much of this, but amusing to read. 1. Yorkshire was never a stronghold of Norse, but of Danes. 2....
how many days are there in the last quater of the year